Basic Badminton Rules
Badminton is a game between two players or a team of doubles
hitting a light, feathered shuttlecock with a racket over a central
net. Only the serving side can score a point, while the receiving
side is trying to win the right to serve the following point.
A coin toss decides who is to serve first and which side of the
net a player will initially defend.
- A match consists of the best of 3 games of 21 points.
- Every time there is a serve – there is a point scored.
- The side winning a rally adds a point to its score.
- At 20 all, the side which gains a 2 point lead first, wins
- At 29 all, the side scoring the 30th point, wins that game.
- The side winning a game serves first in the next game.
The shuttle must be hit below the server's waist with the racket
head below the server's hand, and the server must have part of both
feet stationary in contact with the ground. The shuttle then must
fall within the receiver's service court to be deemed legal.
Once the shuttle is in play, the point continues with players attempting
to hit the shuttle back and forth across the net. A side wins the
rally by hitting the shuttle to the floor on the opponent's side
of or if the opponent fails to keep the shuttle in play.The shuttle
is declared out of play if it fails to cross the net, lands out
of the court or hits the ceiling of the venue.
A rally is also lost if a fault is committed.
A fault is called if a player touches the net during play with either
body or racket, hits the shuttle before it comes across the net
or is hit by the shuttle.
- A shuttle that lands on a line is in bounds.
- A player may let his racket cross over the net in his or
her follow-through on a shot.
- A shuttle may hit the net on a serve as long as it then
lands within the opponent's service court, otherwise it is a
- If a shuttle should get caught on top of the net or in the
net, having passed over the net during play, a let is called
and the rally replayed, except on service when a fault is called.
- A fault is called if a player swings and misses while serving.
- Players are guilty of a fault if they deliberately distract
an opponent by shouting or making gestures.
looks like this: